Principal, husband charged with murder in chargesheet in Bihar midday-meal tragedy
Chapra (Bihar): A school principal and her husband have been charged with murder in the chargesheet filed by police in a local court in the midday meal tragedy in a village primary school in Bihar`s Saran district in July in which 23 students died.
In the 346-page chargesheet filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Anil Kumar Jha two days ago, Meena Devi and Arjun Rai were charged under IPC sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) in the death of 23 students and illness to 30 others due to consumption of poisoned midday meal, Superintendent of Police Varun Kumar Sinha said today.
The couple could face death penalty if convicted.
The principal of the school in Dharmasati Gandaman village has since been suspended.
Sinha said he had written a letter to Public Prosecutor Ajit Kumar Singh, requesting him to impress upon the court to conduct a speedy trial in the case.
He said the 346-page chargesheet had been filed within the stipulated 90 days after the arrest of the principal and that a supplementary chargesheet would be also submitted in due course of time as the probe was still underway.
As many as 23 students, all minors, had died after consuming poisonous midday meal in the school and several others were taken ill and brought to the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) on July 16 this year.
Apprehending arrest, Devi and her husband had gone underground, but the former was arrested a week after the tragedy that had shocked the country. Her husband surrendered before a court last month.
Both the accused persons are presently lodged in a jail in Chapra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow