Principal, husband charged with murder in chargesheet in Bihar midday-meal tragedy
Chapra (Bihar): A school principal and her husband have been charged with murder in the chargesheet filed by police in a local court in the midday meal tragedy in a village primary school in Bihar`s Saran district in July in which 23 students died.
In the 346-page chargesheet filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Anil Kumar Jha two days ago, Meena Devi and Arjun Rai were charged under IPC sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) in the death of 23 students and illness to 30 others due to consumption of poisoned midday meal, Superintendent of Police Varun Kumar Sinha said today.
The couple could face death penalty if convicted.
The principal of the school in Dharmasati Gandaman village has since been suspended.
Sinha said he had written a letter to Public Prosecutor Ajit Kumar Singh, requesting him to impress upon the court to conduct a speedy trial in the case.
He said the 346-page chargesheet had been filed within the stipulated 90 days after the arrest of the principal and that a supplementary chargesheet would be also submitted in due course of time as the probe was still underway.
As many as 23 students, all minors, had died after consuming poisonous midday meal in the school and several others were taken ill and brought to the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) on July 16 this year.
Apprehending arrest, Devi and her husband had gone underground, but the former was arrested a week after the tragedy that had shocked the country. Her husband surrendered before a court last month.
Both the accused persons are presently lodged in a jail in Chapra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender