Principal, husband charged with murder in chargesheet in Bihar midday-meal tragedy
Chapra (Bihar): A school principal and her husband have been charged with murder in the chargesheet filed by police in a local court in the midday meal tragedy in a village primary school in Bihar`s Saran district in July in which 23 students died.
In the 346-page chargesheet filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Anil Kumar Jha two days ago, Meena Devi and Arjun Rai were charged under IPC sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) in the death of 23 students and illness to 30 others due to consumption of poisoned midday meal, Superintendent of Police Varun Kumar Sinha said today.
The couple could face death penalty if convicted.
The principal of the school in Dharmasati Gandaman village has since been suspended.
Sinha said he had written a letter to Public Prosecutor Ajit Kumar Singh, requesting him to impress upon the court to conduct a speedy trial in the case.
He said the 346-page chargesheet had been filed within the stipulated 90 days after the arrest of the principal and that a supplementary chargesheet would be also submitted in due course of time as the probe was still underway.
As many as 23 students, all minors, had died after consuming poisonous midday meal in the school and several others were taken ill and brought to the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) on July 16 this year.
Apprehending arrest, Devi and her husband had gone underground, but the former was arrested a week after the tragedy that had shocked the country. Her husband surrendered before a court last month.
Both the accused persons are presently lodged in a jail in Chapra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence
- IIFA 2016: Priyanka Chopra wins 'Woman of the Year' award, expresses her joy on Twitter! - View pic
- Dada responds to Ravi Shastri's 'Sourav Ganguly absent' remark - Here's what he said
- French woman facing extradition to Chile granted bail by Delhi court
- Hot, humid Sunday morning in Delhi