Private security guards removed from Bodh Gaya temple
Gaya: Taking strong note of security lapses resulting in serial bomb blasts in Maha Bodhi temple recently, the service of the private security company within the temple premises has been terminated.
Maha Bodhi Temple Management Committee (BTMC) took decision to terminate contract of private security company "COBRA" for lapses that resulted in explosions within the temple on July 7 wounding two monks.
The BTMC took strong exception to the fact that while the blasts took place after 5:30 AM on that day, why the guards of the security company who are supposed to be on duty from 5 AM in the morning, did not see bags carrying bombs kept near Maha Bodhi tree and elsewhere within the shrine premises, BTMC member Arvind Kumar said today.
He said the committee served a month`s notice to the company to pack off from the temple.
COBRA had been assigned the job of security within the temple since 2009. The outer security was in the hands of Bihar police earlier.
With COBRA security guards withdrawn, security guards of BTMC are assisting the Bihar Military Police (BMP) personnel in providing security to the international Buddhist shrine.
Sources in the BTMC said despite previous alerts, some meetings by senior police and civil officers were conducted with the secretary or chairman of the committee but a meeting of the full bench of the BTMC was never conducted to review security arrangements.
Singh said BTMC has ordered for two additional metal detectors and bag checkers for frisking of visitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach