Programming Officer arrested for accepting graft
Gaya: The vigilance bureau today arrested a Programming Officer Umakant Verma for taking a bribe of Rs 52,000 from two persons at his office in Barachatti block in Bihar`s Gaya district, an official said.
Acting on a tip off, a vigilance team led by the Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Maharaj Kanishka Kumar laid a trap and arrested Verma as soon as he took the graft amount from Ashok Kumar and Manoj Vishwakarma, the Additional Director General of Police (ADG), Vigilance, P K Thakur said.
The Programming Officer took Rs 12,000 and Rs 40,000 as bribe from the complainants duo as commission for grant of work order under the central flagship programme - MNREGA against his original demand for Rs. 62,000, he said.
An additional Rs 10,000 was recovered from Verma`s possession, Thakur said.
The accused was being brought to Patna for questioning before his production in the vigilance court for judicial remand, the ADG said, adding that 34 government employees have been arrested this year on corruption charges in 28 traps laid by the vigilance bureau.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH