Programming Officer arrested for accepting graft
Gaya: The vigilance bureau today arrested a Programming Officer Umakant Verma for taking a bribe of Rs 52,000 from two persons at his office in Barachatti block in Bihar`s Gaya district, an official said.
Acting on a tip off, a vigilance team led by the Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Maharaj Kanishka Kumar laid a trap and arrested Verma as soon as he took the graft amount from Ashok Kumar and Manoj Vishwakarma, the Additional Director General of Police (ADG), Vigilance, P K Thakur said.
The Programming Officer took Rs 12,000 and Rs 40,000 as bribe from the complainants duo as commission for grant of work order under the central flagship programme - MNREGA against his original demand for Rs. 62,000, he said.
An additional Rs 10,000 was recovered from Verma`s possession, Thakur said.
The accused was being brought to Patna for questioning before his production in the vigilance court for judicial remand, the ADG said, adding that 34 government employees have been arrested this year on corruption charges in 28 traps laid by the vigilance bureau.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj