Programming Officer arrested for accepting graft
Gaya: The vigilance bureau today arrested a Programming Officer Umakant Verma for taking a bribe of Rs 52,000 from two persons at his office in Barachatti block in Bihar`s Gaya district, an official said.
Acting on a tip off, a vigilance team led by the Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Maharaj Kanishka Kumar laid a trap and arrested Verma as soon as he took the graft amount from Ashok Kumar and Manoj Vishwakarma, the Additional Director General of Police (ADG), Vigilance, P K Thakur said.
The Programming Officer took Rs 12,000 and Rs 40,000 as bribe from the complainants duo as commission for grant of work order under the central flagship programme - MNREGA against his original demand for Rs. 62,000, he said.
An additional Rs 10,000 was recovered from Verma`s possession, Thakur said.
The accused was being brought to Patna for questioning before his production in the vigilance court for judicial remand, the ADG said, adding that 34 government employees have been arrested this year on corruption charges in 28 traps laid by the vigilance bureau.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi