Programming Officer arrested for accepting graft
Gaya: The vigilance bureau today arrested a Programming Officer Umakant Verma for taking a bribe of Rs 52,000 from two persons at his office in Barachatti block in Bihar`s Gaya district, an official said.
Acting on a tip off, a vigilance team led by the Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Maharaj Kanishka Kumar laid a trap and arrested Verma as soon as he took the graft amount from Ashok Kumar and Manoj Vishwakarma, the Additional Director General of Police (ADG), Vigilance, P K Thakur said.
The Programming Officer took Rs 12,000 and Rs 40,000 as bribe from the complainants duo as commission for grant of work order under the central flagship programme - MNREGA against his original demand for Rs. 62,000, he said.
An additional Rs 10,000 was recovered from Verma`s possession, Thakur said.
The accused was being brought to Patna for questioning before his production in the vigilance court for judicial remand, the ADG said, adding that 34 government employees have been arrested this year on corruption charges in 28 traps laid by the vigilance bureau.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi