Purryag`s visit to boost people-to-people contact: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Hailing Mauritius President Rajkeswur Purryag`s visit to Bihar, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday said it would strengthen people to people relations between the state and the Island country.
"People of Bihar have deep ties with their Mauritius counterparts with its 56 per cent population tracing their ancestry from our state," he said at a function to felicitate Purryag upon his maiden visit to his ancestral Wajitpur village in Patna district.
Kumar recalled the warm reception he had received during his visit to Mauritius six years ago and said the people there yearned to trace their roots in Bihar.
He said he saluted the Mauritian people of Bihari origin for their hardwork to build a modern nation.
The chief minister said Purryag`s visit reflected the Bihari immigrant people`s desire to trace their ancestors` land and it has come after the visit of the Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam a few years ago.
The state government has put up the bust of the former Mauritius prime minister Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam in Patna to apprise the people of Bihar of what height their brethren abroad have achieved, he said.
Similarly, when the incumbent Mauritius president expressed his desire for tracing his ancestral village, the state government found it out and made his visit to Bihar possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials