Rabri Devi`s assets - 62 cows and 42 calves
Patna: Not too many Indian politicians boast of such assets. Former Bihar chief minister Rabri Devi is the proud owner of 62 cows and 42 calves worth Rs 17.8 lakh (over USD 40,000) - and has declared so ahead of the Assembly Elections.
She has revealed this in the affidavit submitted on Saturday along with her nomination papers for the Raghopur and Sonepur assembly seats. Raghopur is in Vaishali district and Sonepur in Chapra district.
According to the affidavit, Rabri Devi owns cows and calves valued at Rs 17.8 lakh.
RJD leaders close to Rabri Devi said on Sunday that most of the cows and calves were at her husband and Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad`s cattle shed, locally known as `khatal` in Danapur on Patna`s outskirts.
Rabri Devi also owns ornaments worth Rs 7.62 lakh. She has Rs 2.29 lakh in the bank. Rabri has invested Rs 11.78 lakh in bonds, her affidavit says.
Her immovable property includes agricultural and non-agricultural lands worth crores of rupees in Patna and Gopalganj, her home district.
Lalu Prasad, also a former chief minister, and Rabri Devi`s love for cows and horses is well known.
They used to keep over 100 cows and calves in a specially designed shed in their residence at 1 Anne Marg here during their tenures as chief minister. But when they were asked to vacate the place following Rabri Devi`s fall from power in 2005, the cows were shifted to Danapur.
Interestingly, Rabri Devi, Lalu Prasad and their children own immovable property worth Rs 4.58 crore. The figure has increased by Rs 3 crore since 2005.
In the last assembly polls five years ago, their property was worth Rs 1.58 crore.
Rabri Devi is a legislator from Raghopur constituency. In her mid-50s, she was chief minister from 1997 to 2005. She has been the first and the only woman chief minister of Bihar.
Bihar will elect a 243-member Assembly in six phase polls that begin on October 21 and ends on November 20. The results will be declared on November 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony