Raghuram Rajan panel report `positive` for Bihar: Shaibal
Patna: Hailing the Raghuram Rajan panel report on Bihar as a "positive" development, panel member Shaibal Gupta on Sunday said that though decks were clear for the grant of special status to the state, it, however, would require a "political will" for the fulfilment.
"The first round of battle has been won (Raghuram Rajan panel report), but the war remains to be won," he told reporters here referring to Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s pet political agenda, demand for special status to Bihar.
"The grant of special status is a political decision requiring political will," Gupta who had submitted a 10-page dissenting note on the report to protest against non-inclusion of variables like per capita income, energy consumption and freight equalisation that would have ensured Bihar`s standing as the least developed state on Multi-Dimensional Index (MDI).
All states classified among the least developed states should join forces together on the lines of coalition of backward states to pitch for grant of special status, he said.
Referring to the Raghuram Rajan panel report, which put Bihar as the second least developed state in the country, he said it must be welcomed as a `historic` and `positive` development as it will bring in additional funds to Bihar if it`s recommendation was to be implemented by the centre to make additional devolution to the least developed states.
Bihar would be the second biggest beneficiary of the additional devolution after Uttar Pradesh if the centre decides to implement the report in future, Gupta, who a founding member and secretary of Patna-based Asian Development Research Institute (ADRI), said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts