Raghuram Rajan panel report will help Bihar get more funds: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Expressing happiness over the Raghu Rajan report, which categorised Bihar as one of the least developed states in the country, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday said it will pave the way for getting more funds from the Centre for development.
He was speaking after release of a report of a panel headed by then Chief Economic Advisor Raghuram Rajan, now RBI Governor.
The report has made a case for ending the `special category` criteria for providing additional assistance to poorer states, as it ranked Goa and Kerala as the most advanced state and Odisha and Bihar the least.
The Bihar Chief Minister had been demanding special status for the state for long.
Terming the development as a victory for Bihar, he said, "We knew it (that Bihar is backward and needs special attention)...We welcome Rajan`s report and this will benefit other states as well.
"We would have been more happy had the report taken Per Capita Income instead of Per Capita Consumption as the criteria. Nevertheless, we are content with the current development."
Kumar said other states would also benefit from the new methodology for devolving funds based on Multi Dimensional Index (MDI).
"Of the 10 states, three have already been given the special status. Apart from Bihar, there are 6 more states which will benefited," he said.
On the future course of action, he said, "Our next step will be to work for getting more funds for development of states."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan