Rahul holds talks with Bihar Congress leaders
New Delhi: With JD(U) and BJP at loggerheads over the issue of NDA`s prime ministerial candidate, Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday held consultations with Congress leaders from the state to decide its way ahead.
PCC chief Ashok Choudhary and CLP leader Sadanand Singh were present at the deliberations chaired by the Congress Vice-President.
AICC Bihar in-charge G S Charak, AICC secretary Sanjay Nirupam and Vijay Laxmi Sadho also participated in the talks.
There was, however, no word from any of the leaders about what transpired in the meeting held against the backdrop of strains in BJP-JD(U) ties over Nitish Kumar`s "secular" pitch for the NDA`s prime ministerial candidate.
The meeting also comes at a time when there is a debate in Congress on whether it should join hands with Nitish Kumar`s party, realign with old ally RJD or stick to its stand of going alone in Bihar which accounts for 40 seats in Lok Sabha.
In the faction-ridden Bihar Congress, Choudhary, a Dalit face, was appointed the new PCC chief last month -- nearly two-and-half-years after Mehboob Ali Qaiser resigned from the post following the drubbing in the 2010 Assembly elections.
The appointment of 43-year-old Choudhary, a lesser known face in the state politics, said to be done at the behest of Rahul, was a clear indication that the Congress Vice-President is looking for a long overhaul for the party in Bihar which currently stands completely marginalised.
Party sources said that Qaiser had submitted a report to Rahul some time back on the organisational strength of the party in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!