Rahul not upset by Bihar Assembly verdict
New Delhi: Despite the Congress drubbing in Bihar Assembly polls, Rahul Gandhi is not upset with the election results.
"No, I am not upset by the Bihar elections," the Congress general secretary, who played a key role in the campaigning, said in reply to a question by reporters outside Parliament House.
The brief remark was Rahul`s first comment on the Bihar poll outcome.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi had said the results indicated that the party will have to rebuild itself from the scratch.
After the poor showing by Congress in the recently concluded elections where the party`s tally was reduced from nine seats to four, political opponents commented that the
magic of Rahul and his mother Sonia had not worked.
None of the constituencies in which Rahul campaigned returned a winner from the Congress while only two of the seats where Sonia Gandhi campaigned saw a party candidate winning.
Sonia and Rahul had campaigned in 22 of the 243 constituencies in Bihar.
Rahul was also criticised for his decision that Congress should go it alone in Bihar though parties like RJD and LJP had expressed interest in forging an alliance.
Congress is out of power in Bihar for the last over two decades in the wake of the Ayodhya and Mandal issues that changed the politics of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened