Rahul not upset by Bihar Assembly verdict
New Delhi: Despite the Congress drubbing in Bihar Assembly polls, Rahul Gandhi is not upset with the election results.
"No, I am not upset by the Bihar elections," the Congress general secretary, who played a key role in the campaigning, said in reply to a question by reporters outside Parliament House.
The brief remark was Rahul`s first comment on the Bihar poll outcome.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi had said the results indicated that the party will have to rebuild itself from the scratch.
After the poor showing by Congress in the recently concluded elections where the party`s tally was reduced from nine seats to four, political opponents commented that the
magic of Rahul and his mother Sonia had not worked.
None of the constituencies in which Rahul campaigned returned a winner from the Congress while only two of the seats where Sonia Gandhi campaigned saw a party candidate winning.
Sonia and Rahul had campaigned in 22 of the 243 constituencies in Bihar.
Rahul was also criticised for his decision that Congress should go it alone in Bihar though parties like RJD and LJP had expressed interest in forging an alliance.
Congress is out of power in Bihar for the last over two decades in the wake of the Ayodhya and Mandal issues that changed the politics of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad