Rahul questions Nitish Kumar`s development claims
Bachwara/Jamalpur: Stepping up his attack on
the Bihar government, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday
questioned the claims of development by the ruling JD(U)
saying if it had indeed taken place why were people migrating
from the state in search of jobs.
"If Bihar is at all shining, then why are people migrating
to Maharashtra, Punjab, Haryana and New Delhi? Why are people
from Mumbai not coming to Bihar?" Gandhi told election rallies
at Bachwara and Jamalpur in Munger district.
"Bihar and India can`t shine unless poverty is thoroughly
eradicated and there is employment, drinking water, better
health, electricity and education facilities for all," he
"Have you received jobs?" Gandhi asked alleging that the
state had failed to achieve the desired targets under MNREGA
and other central schemes while there were "irregularities" in
Gandhi also questioned the secular credentials of Chief
Minister Nitish Kumar and claimed that he did not do much
following the riots in Gujarat when he was a minister in the
erstwhile NDA government.
The Amethi MP alleged that both Nitish Kumar and RJD
president Lalu Prasad were equally responsible for the state
of affairs in Bihar during the past 20 years.
"Now the time has come to free the state from the
politics of caste and religion pursued by Lalu Prasad and
Nitish and ensure all-round growth of Bihar," he said.
India would further develop if Bihar and Uttar Pradesh
were brought to the category of most developed states, he
Rahul, addressing a meeting in Bhagalpur district to
seek votes for former BPCC chief Sadanand Singh, showered
praise on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Stating that the UPA government had doubled assistance
to Rs one lakh crore to Bihar compared to the amount provided
by the erstwhile NDA government, he said "the UPA government
has implemented schemes like MNREGA guaranteeing jobs for 100
days in a year for the poor and labourers."
It has also taken steps for providing midday meals and
introduced the Right to Education Act in the past six years,
he said while debunking Nitish Kumar`s claims on development
as an eyewash.
"While people from Bihar are shining in Punjab,
Maharashtra and Delhi, those living in the state are facing
hardships," he said.
"If the central schemes like MNREGA are properly
implemented in Bihar, the people will start shining in the
state itself," the Congress general secretary said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened