Rahul slams Nitish for flaunting development work in Bihar
Chanduali (Bihar): AICC general secretary
Rahul Gandhi on Thursday slammed Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for
flaunting the development work done by him in Bihar and asked
him to see the progress in Congress-ruled Andhra Pradesh.
"Nitish always flaunts development work done by him. If he
is really interested to assess what he has done for Bihar, he
should not compare it with that of the 15-year-rule of RJD led
by Lalu Prasad.
"I advise him to compare his work with the development in
Andhra Pradesh," Gandhi told an election meeting here.
Raking up afresh the issue of Kumar`s secular credentials,
he said the JD-U leader should not claim it as long as he was
in the company of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and
Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
"How can a person project a secular image with ties with
such leaders?" he asked.
The UPA government has always cooperated with Bihar and
provided around Rs one lakh crore in the last six years
against Rs 50,000 crore given by the erstwhile NDA government,
"More funds have been given for implementation of MGNREGA,
Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidyutikaran Yojana and Indira Awas
Yojana, but the desired results are yet to be seen," he rued.
Stating that it required vision to reach the fruits of
development work to the poor and that the NDA government had
done a lot for the rich, he asserted Bihar has the potential
to become a developed state and there was no dearth of funds
for its growth.
He appealed to the people to vote for Congress saying his
party alone could provide justice to the poor and serve them.
Addressing another election meeting at Muzaffarpur, Gandhi
said the UPA government launched the flagship rural employment
guarantee programme in 2004 to provide jobs to the poor for at
least 100 days a year, whereas the NDA had coined the `India
Shining` campaign "for the rich to shine at the cost of the
He said though the scheme was meant for all, "The NDA
government in Bihar seems to have forgotten farmers for whom
the Centre had declared a waiver of Rs 60,000 crore in loans
and over which the NDA had raised a hue and cry.
"I also want to inform you that the Centre has given more
funds to the state for Indira Awas Yojana in Bihar than other
states," he said alleging corruption in implementation of
schemes for construction of houses for BPL households.
Gandhi also attacked the NDA for targetting him when he
had taken British Foreign Secretary David Miliband to visit
his Amethi Lok Sabha constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
"The NDA leaders criticised me saying that I have taken
him to show the suffering of the people. But I had said that
it was to show the strength of the poor people of India," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’