Railways had intelligence about possible Maoist attack in Bihar
New Delhi: Railway Ministry had intelligence inputs about a possible Maoist attack on rail properties in Tirhut and Saran regions of Bihar, a senior RPF official claimed on Wednesday after the derailment of Rajdhani Express in Chapra.
"There were intelligence reports of possible Maoist attack on rail properties in Tirhut and Saran region and accordingly Railway Ministry had alerted the East Central Railway, GRP and district administrations," the official said.
Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga, Chapra and Hazipur are among the areas which comprise Tirhut and Saran regions in Bihar.
The intelligence advisory was issued by railways to the concerned authorities on June 20 to take adequate preventive measures to in the wake of Maosit bandh call to check possible attack on railway proprties in the region.
There were two incidents involving Dibrugrah-New Delhi Rajdhani Express and a goods train in the region today and railways suspect it to be sabotage by Maoists.
"Prima facie, it appears to be a case of sabotage. There was a blast on the track, which could have caused the derailment," Railway Board Chairman Arunendra Kumar told PTI.
"Another goods train, 60 kms away from the station, also got derailed due to a blast. 18 wagons got derailed in the accident," Kumar said.
However, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said it was too early to blame the Maoists for the derailment.
While Railway Minister D V Sadananda Gowda and Minister of State for Railway Manoj Sinha have rushed to the site along with Railway Board Member (Traffic) D P Pandey and Member (Mechanical) Alok Johri, RPF DG Krishna Chaudhury have also gone to the accident spot for a first hand information.
Expressing concern over the Rajdhani derailment, All-India Railwaymen`s Federation General Secretary Shiv Gopal Mishra said "though the exact cause will be known only after the inquiry, it seems to be a sabotage case."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video