Raipur Simi member masterminded Bodh Gaya blasts: Police
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Police on Wednesday said that Umer Siddhiqui, a suspected Simi activist who was arrested alongwith seven others here last week, had planned the July 7 blasts at Bodh Gaya temple complex in Bihar, and also planned to carry out attack on Narendra Modi during his rallies.
Siddhiqui wanted to target Modi, during the rallies in Kanpur, Delhi and Ambikapur in Chhattisgarh, police claimed.
"Siddhiqui has admitted that he had planned the Bodh Gaya blasts. He had instructed where the explosives should be planted," Director General of Police Ramniwas told reporters here.
Siddhiqui, 35, who runs a coaching class here, is one of the eight persons arrested last week in connection with serial blasts at Modi`s last month`s rally in Patna. All of them are allegedly members of the banned Simi.
The DGP said that Siddhiqui told Police about the Bodh Gaya blasts elaborately, with minute details of the site, which proved that he had given necessary instructions.
According Ramniwas, Siddhiqui also confessed to sheltering the culprits of Patna blasts in Raipur afterwards.
"Abdulla, the prime accused in the Patna blasts case and Umer had also planned attack on Modi for which they had conducted recce in Kanpur, Delhi and Ambikapur ahead of the Gujarat Chief Minister`s rallies," the DGP said.
They had allegedly prepared sketches of the venues, but put off the plan each time due to the heavy security.
According to police, the bombs were to be planted near the stage and in the case of failure to set them off blasts were to be carried out amid the public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar