Rajdhani Express accident: Rail police, Railway at loggerhead over running of pilot engine
Patna/Chapra: The railway police and the East Central Railway were on Thursday at loggerheads over not running a pilot engine ahead of Rajdhani Express which derailed at Chapra resulting in death of four persons and injury to 23 others.
While the railway police claimed that the alert for a pilot engine was sent, the ECR, on the contrary said that it was for the Dibrugarh-New Delhi Express and not the New Delhi- Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express.
Additional Director General of Police, Rail, K S Dwivedi said an alert was sent to the Sonepur Railway division for running a pilot engine for the Hajipur to Muzaffarpur and Hajipur to Chapra sections.
Chief Public Relations Officer ECR Arvind Kumar Rajak, however, said that the demand sent at 8.20 PM last night was for a pilot engine between the two stretches for the Dibrugarh to New Delhi Rajdhani Express in view of a Maoist bandh call.
He said many trains had gone ahead of Rajdhani Express safely and there was no violation of the alert.
The issue of not running a pilot engine ahead of the Rajdhani Express which derailed was raised by two former Railway ministers, Lalu Prasad and Nitish Kumar.
Meanwhile, an FIR was registered with the Muffasil police station at Chapra in connection with the Rajdhani Express derailment.
The FIR was lodged on the basis of the statement of Railways, said Superintendent of Police, Saran, Sudhir Kumar Singh.
An special investigation team was constituted under an Additional SP rank official to probe the accident, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez