Ravishankar among 6 declared elected unopposed
Patna: Bihar JD(U) president Bashishtha
Narayan Singh and three senior party leaders, besides BJP
general secretaries Ravi Shankar Prasad and Dharmendra Pradhan
were on Friday declared elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha in the
state following withdrawal of nominations by Independent
candidate Ahmed Ashfaq Karim supported by the RJD-LJP combine.
Among the four JD(U) leaders elected are Ali Anwar Ansari,
Mahendra Prasad and Anil Kumar Sahni,
Karim took back his nomination this afternoon on the last
day of withdrawal of papers, Bihar Legislative Assembly
Secretary-cum-Returning Officer Laxmi Kant Jha said.
The withdrawal paved the way for declaration of the
"The two BJP nominees and four of JD(U) have been declared
as elected unopposed to RS," Jha said.
Earlier, a contest seemed to be on the cards for Rajya
Sabha elections for six seats in Bihar with the independent
candidate claiming support of RJD-LJP and Congress MLAs
entering the fray along with four JD(U) leaders and two from
Narayan Singh, Ansari, Mahendra Prasad and Sahni, besides
BJP`s Pradhan and Ravi Shankar Prasad submitted their
nominations to the returning officer-cum-secretary of Bihar
legislative Assembly Laxmi Kant Jha on March 19.
Hours after filing of nomination by the six official
nominees (JD-U`s 4 and BJP`s 2), independent candidate Ahmed
Ashfa Karim went to the returning officer to submit papers.
- A much needed break! PM Modi spends some moments of solitude with a boat ride in Varanasi – Watch
- ISIS makes Indian terrorist its poster boy in new video to lure youth from country
- Russian GP: Nico Rosberg wins seventh race in succession as Lewis Hamilton recovers to second spot
- No need for cash; pay through mobile phone at Café Coffee Day now
- VVIP chopper scam: RSS mouthpiece dares Congress to reveal who's 'Signora Gandhi' mentioned in Italian court