Ravishankar among 6 declared elected unopposed
Patna: Bihar JD(U) president Bashishtha
Narayan Singh and three senior party leaders, besides BJP
general secretaries Ravi Shankar Prasad and Dharmendra Pradhan
were on Friday declared elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha in the
state following withdrawal of nominations by Independent
candidate Ahmed Ashfaq Karim supported by the RJD-LJP combine.
Among the four JD(U) leaders elected are Ali Anwar Ansari,
Mahendra Prasad and Anil Kumar Sahni,
Karim took back his nomination this afternoon on the last
day of withdrawal of papers, Bihar Legislative Assembly
Secretary-cum-Returning Officer Laxmi Kant Jha said.
The withdrawal paved the way for declaration of the
"The two BJP nominees and four of JD(U) have been declared
as elected unopposed to RS," Jha said.
Earlier, a contest seemed to be on the cards for Rajya
Sabha elections for six seats in Bihar with the independent
candidate claiming support of RJD-LJP and Congress MLAs
entering the fray along with four JD(U) leaders and two from
Narayan Singh, Ansari, Mahendra Prasad and Sahni, besides
BJP`s Pradhan and Ravi Shankar Prasad submitted their
nominations to the returning officer-cum-secretary of Bihar
legislative Assembly Laxmi Kant Jha on March 19.
Hours after filing of nomination by the six official
nominees (JD-U`s 4 and BJP`s 2), independent candidate Ahmed
Ashfa Karim went to the returning officer to submit papers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas