Rebel JD(U) MP Kushwaha resigns from RS, to form new party
Patna: Rebel JD(U) Rajya Sabha member Upendra Kushwaha, who voted in favour of FDI in multi-brand retail against the party stand, on Sunday announced that he would resign as MP and also from the party.
"I have decided to quit my membership from Rajya Sabha and also from JD(U) to protest dictatorial attitude of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar," Kushwaha said addressing a state-level meeting of a non-political group he has floated with some other disgruntled JD(U) leaders.
"I will complete the formalities (in this regard) in Delhi)," the rebel JD(U) MP, once a close aide of the Bihar CM, said.
Earlier, talking to reporters, Kushwaha, who voted in favour of UPA on FDI issue in Rajya Sabha, said he did so to protest "dictatorship" of Nitish Kumar in the party.
Accompanied by former JD(U) MPs and MLAs like Arun Kumar, Satish Kumar, Lutfur Rahman and Sudhansu Shekhar Bhaskar, Kushwaha announced to form a new party at a rally at Gandhi maidan here on March 3 next year.
Though photograph of another dissident JD(U) Lok Sabha MP Magnilal Mandal was displayed on the banners for the function of "Bihar Nav Nirman Manch", he was not present during the programme.
The banners also dislayed photograph of former NDA Convener George Fernandes.
During his speech, Kushwaha, who was made Leader of the Opposition during the 2000-05 Assembly when Rabri Devi was CM, criticised Nitish Kumar`s claim of development of Bihar stating it was "not true."
"He (Kumar) is surrounded by sycophants, majority of whom have crossed sides from RJD and is paying no attention to genuine JD(U) workers," the rebel JD(U) MP alleged.
"I protested this at Rajgir meeting of the party and have been targeted since then," he added.
Ex-MP Arun Kumar, former MLAs Satish Kumar, Latfur Rahman and Sudhansu Sekhar Bhaskar also lambasted Nitish Kumar for his "dictatorial" attitude.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India