Rebel JD(U) MP Kushwaha resigns from RS, to form new party
Patna: Rebel JD(U) Rajya Sabha member Upendra Kushwaha, who voted in favour of FDI in multi-brand retail against the party stand, on Sunday announced that he would resign as MP and also from the party.
"I have decided to quit my membership from Rajya Sabha and also from JD(U) to protest dictatorial attitude of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar," Kushwaha said addressing a state-level meeting of a non-political group he has floated with some other disgruntled JD(U) leaders.
"I will complete the formalities (in this regard) in Delhi)," the rebel JD(U) MP, once a close aide of the Bihar CM, said.
Earlier, talking to reporters, Kushwaha, who voted in favour of UPA on FDI issue in Rajya Sabha, said he did so to protest "dictatorship" of Nitish Kumar in the party.
Accompanied by former JD(U) MPs and MLAs like Arun Kumar, Satish Kumar, Lutfur Rahman and Sudhansu Shekhar Bhaskar, Kushwaha announced to form a new party at a rally at Gandhi maidan here on March 3 next year.
Though photograph of another dissident JD(U) Lok Sabha MP Magnilal Mandal was displayed on the banners for the function of "Bihar Nav Nirman Manch", he was not present during the programme.
The banners also dislayed photograph of former NDA Convener George Fernandes.
During his speech, Kushwaha, who was made Leader of the Opposition during the 2000-05 Assembly when Rabri Devi was CM, criticised Nitish Kumar`s claim of development of Bihar stating it was "not true."
"He (Kumar) is surrounded by sycophants, majority of whom have crossed sides from RJD and is paying no attention to genuine JD(U) workers," the rebel JD(U) MP alleged.
"I protested this at Rajgir meeting of the party and have been targeted since then," he added.
Ex-MP Arun Kumar, former MLAs Satish Kumar, Latfur Rahman and Sudhansu Sekhar Bhaskar also lambasted Nitish Kumar for his "dictatorial" attitude.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test