Rebellion brewing in Bihar unit of Youth Congress
New Delhi: A rebellion seems to be brewing in the faction-ridden Bihar unit of Youth Congress over the disqualification of the candidature of a leader, who had won the election for the President of Bihar Youth Congress with a huge margin only last month.
Youth Congress Presidents of several Lok Sabha seats of the state besides other office bearers are camping in Delhi for the last few days seeking an audience with Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, who looked after the affairs of Youth Congress and NSUI as Congress general secretary.
Sanjeev Singh had won the January 21 election for Bihar Youth Congress with a margin of around 1600 votes.
However, the Foundation of Advanced Management of Elections (FAME) which supervises Youth Congress elections, withheld declaration of the results and finally disqualified Singh on February 7 for alleged non-disclosure of a CBI case lodged against him 17 years back regarding an admission scam.
Contesting FAME`s contention, Singh`s supporters have in a memorandum to the senior Congress leaders said the basis on which the disqualification order was issued is "baseless and far from reality".
They argued that if such cases without any charge sheet could be the basis for action against one, how can FAME give clean chit to state Youth Congress Vice President Kumar Ashish, who was also allegedly booked in a question paper leak case not long before.
Kumar Ashish, however, dubs the case against him a "political conspiracy" and stresses that there was no charge sheet against him.
Asked about the controversy, the National President of Youth Congress Rajiv Satav said Sanjeev Singh has demanded a review of FAME`s decision but it is for the FAME to take a call on it.
"As far as we are concerned, FAME recommended for his disqualification and we have disqualified him. Now there is no President in Bihar Youth Congress Committee. If they have some grievance, they have to approach FAME," Satav said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan