Recovered money was of my cousin: BJP MP Giriraj Singh to Bihar police
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Days after recovery of Rs 1.14 crore, USD 600 and ornaments purportedly stolen from his flat, Bharatiya Janata Party MP Giriaj Singh on Saturday recorded his statement with police, claiming the money belonged to his businessman cousin.
The BJP MP from Nawada visited Sri Krishna Puri police station and recorded his statement today. He was accompanied by Nagpur-based real estate businessman cousin Rakesh Singh.
"The money is of my cousin. I have told this to competent police officers," Singh told reporters while coming out from police station.
Patna Traffic Superintendent of Police Rajiv Mishra, officiating as Senior Superintendent of Police of Patna at present, who was present inside police station, told reporters that the MP told them that the money belonged to his cousin.
The MP`s cousin Rakesh Singh is engaged in real estate and maize trade in Nagpur.
Besides Rajiv Mishra, City Superintendent of Police Asish Bharti was present in the police station with Station House Office Ishwar Dayal during nearly half-an-hour recording of statement.
The Patna officiating SSP said that the police have sought supporting documents of the money to verify the claim.
Giriraj Singh said that the flat located in Boring Road under Sri Krishnapuri police station where theft was committed on Monday belonged to him.
"I was not aware about the money kept in the flat. My younger brother Jairaj Singh was aware that Rakesh Singh has kept the money which is business-related payment," Singh said he told officiating SSP.
About the recovery of US D 600, Rajiv Mishra said the police would look if FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act) was applicable or not.
The Nawada MP said that her wife has already claimed to police the ornaments recovered.
The MP came to Patna today and visited the police station to present his statement to the police.
The recovery of huge amount of cash and other valuables purportedly stolen from the house of BJP MP Giriraj Singh on Tuesday kicked up a political storm in the state.
Ruling JD(U), RJD and Congress have staged strong protest in both Houses of Bihar Legislature over the issue early this week.
A break-in into the flat of the Nawada MP located in posh Boring Road under Srikrishna Puri police station here took place on Monday, while he was away in Delhi to attend the Parliament session.
Police on July 9 recovered from an autorickshaw under Pirbahore police station area Rs 1.14 crore in cash, USD 600, gold and silver jewellery and six luxury watches purportedly stolen from Singh`s flat after arresting four persons, including his bodyguard and servant.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez