Residents resist anti-encroachment drive, set on fire vehicle
Patna: An anti-encroachment drive on the directives of the Supreme court in Bhagwat Nagar and Jaiprakash Nagar colonies here was resisted by locals who set ablaze a government vehicle to prevent demolition of their dwellings, police said.
The residents of the twin colonies opposed the demolition bid of the illegally constructed houses and set on fire a government car when the demolition squad arrived, the police said.
They also burnt tyres on the road to prevent the entry of the demolition squad.
The womenfolk too joined the protest and sat on dharna on the streets and blocked entry of vehicles in the two colonies, they said.
Additional District Magistrate (ADM) Ramesh Kumar was camping on the spot with additional police reinforcement to bring the law and order situation under control, the police said
The Supreme Court, in an order dated September eight last, had directed the Patna Municipal Corporation (PMC) to demolish the illegal constructions in the two colonies by September 26 next.
The PMC authorities had identified about 131 illegal houses for demolition today, the police said.
The apex court had directed the PMC to remove all illegal construction in these two colonies and hand over the land to the Bihar Finance Co-operative House Construction Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof