Return of Gujarat`s aid by Nitish has hurt Bihar`s image: Lalu
New Delhi: RJD chief Lalu Prasad Tuesday hit out at Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for returning the aid for Kosi floods given by Gujarat, saying it had hurt Bihar`s image
and dubbed his show of anger against Narendra Modi as a "stunt" to befool minorities with an eye on upcoming polls.
Describing Kumar and Modi as "bhai bhai" (brothers), Prasad questioned why the Bihar Chief Minister did not show his anger and part ways with BJP all these years if he was really upset over the 2002 Gujarat riots.
"The show of differences between BJP and JD-U is nothing more than a stunt in view of polls. It is a mock fight to befool minorities," Prasad told PTI in an interview as the
ruling coalition partners appeared to be fighting following Kumar`s snub to Modi over a week ago.
Referring to Kumar`s act of returning Rs 5 crore given by Gujarat as relief for Kosi flood victims, the RJD leader said it was a "cheap" decision.
"It has hurt Bihar`s image. The aid money did not belong to Narendra Modi but people of Gujarat. It has been a custom in our country to help others in hour of distress," he said.
"Narendra Modi had also sent two train loads of relief materials for the Kosi flood victims, which was received in the state by Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi. Kumar should explain where that relief material went. He should say whether or not it was distributed to victims," he said.
In this context, he noted that the RJD government led by Rabri Devi had also sent relief worth crores of rupees to the earthquake victims of Bhuj in Gujarat in year 2000.
Insisting that he was not concerned whether BJP and JD-U part ways or remain together, the RJD chief, however, took a dig at BJP saying it was "power hungry" and wanted to stick to JD-U even at the cost of its "self-esteem".
"Nitish Kumar literally snatched the plate from them after serving the food. Had BJP any self-esteem left in it, it could have snapped ties with JD-U immediately after the cancellation of the dinner," he said.
Prasad was referring to cancellation of dinner by Kumar for BJP leaders who had gathered in Patna for their National Executive on June 12 as he was upset over publication of an advertisement showing him with Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India