Rising Gandak river floods 10 Bihar villages
Patna: More than 10 villages in Bihar`s Gopalganj district were flooded early Sunday after the Gandak river overflowed its banks due to release of water from Nepal following heavy rains in the area, an official said.
The supporting embankments constructed to restrict the flow of river in case of flood threat was breached after Nepal released over two lakh cusecs of water in the river.
"Gandak river breached supporting embankments due to heavy pressure in the last 24 hours," an official of the state disaster management department said.
A district official said the threat of flood looms large over dozens of other villages, creating panic among thousands of residents.
Hundreds of people fled their homes and the state government has asked those living in low lying areas to shift to safer places.
Rescue and relief operations have been intensified in the area. A team of the National Disaster Response Force has been rushed with motorboats to help those trapped in water, the official said.
In 2008, more than three million people were rendered homeless in Bihar when the river Kosi breached its bank upstream in Nepal and changed its course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug