RJD condemns SIT probe in violence at `Adhikar Yatra`
Patna: Opposition RJD on Monday condemned the constitution of a special investigation team (SIT) to probe violence and arson during Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s `Adhikar Yatra` in Khagaria district, saying it was the people`s democratic right to protest.
"The constitution of SIT to probe protest against the Chief Minister`s political engagement in Khagaria district last month is uncalled for, as people have the democratic right to protest," Leader of Opposition in the assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui told newsmen here.
If RJD workers were among the protestors then they had `rightly exercised` their democratic right to protest, he said.
"It appears that the Chief Minister is out to settle scores with his political rivals by setting up the SIT to probe protest against him in Khagaria," he said.
If the state government really thinks that the protest was a conspiracy to threaten the life of CM then recommendation of a CBI probe would have been an appropriate action, Siddique, who is a senior RJD leader, said.
On the reports that the SIT has gathered information that some senior RJD leaders, including MPs, were in constant touch with some protesters in Khagaria district, Siddique said, a political leader was supposed to keep in touch with the party workers and communicate with them for updates.
"Let SIT prosecute JD(U) leaders and MPs if they had hatched a conspiracy against the Chief Minister and endangered his life in any way," the RJD leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH