RJD MLC resigns as opposition leader in Bihar Council
Patna: Gulam Ghaus of Rashtriya Janata Dal on Tuesday resigned as leader of opposition in Bihar Legislative Council as BJP, after severing ties with the JD(U), assumes role of the principal opposition.
"I have submitted my resignation to Chairman of the Legislative Council," Ghaus, third term RJD MLC told a news agency.
He said he decided to quit from the post on his own wisdom and considering the fact that BJP which would be now in the opposition bench, has more numbers in the House.
While RJD has 7 MLC, BJP has 15.
Legislative Council Chairman Awdesh Narayan Singh told the news agency he has accepted resignation of Ghaus.
Former deputy chief minister and senior BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi is a member of Legislative Council so is Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Rabri Devi, former chief minister and wife of Lalu Prasad, is also a member of the Upper House.
Leader of the opposition in the State Assembly and RJD leader Abdul Bari Siddiqui will also have to make way for a BJP leader in the House.
While RJD has only 22 MLAs the BJP has 91 in the 243-member Bihar Assembly.
Ruling JD(U) has 118 MLAs, including the Speaker, while Congress has 4, LJP and CPI one each and Independents 6.
Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition in the Bihar Assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui of RJD has refused to resign on his own in the changed scenario in which BJP with 91 MLAs would be in opposition benches.
"Why shall I resign, if the other party elects its Legislature party leader and claims post, the Speaker will decide,"
"In that case I will make way for the new opposition leader," Siddiqui told reporters on the sidelines of a Press Conference addressed by party president Lalu Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up