RJD MLC resigns as opposition leader in Bihar Council
Patna: Gulam Ghaus of Rashtriya Janata Dal on Tuesday resigned as leader of opposition in Bihar Legislative Council as BJP, after severing ties with the JD(U), assumes role of the principal opposition.
"I have submitted my resignation to Chairman of the Legislative Council," Ghaus, third term RJD MLC told a news agency.
He said he decided to quit from the post on his own wisdom and considering the fact that BJP which would be now in the opposition bench, has more numbers in the House.
While RJD has 7 MLC, BJP has 15.
Legislative Council Chairman Awdesh Narayan Singh told the news agency he has accepted resignation of Ghaus.
Former deputy chief minister and senior BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi is a member of Legislative Council so is Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Rabri Devi, former chief minister and wife of Lalu Prasad, is also a member of the Upper House.
Leader of the opposition in the State Assembly and RJD leader Abdul Bari Siddiqui will also have to make way for a BJP leader in the House.
While RJD has only 22 MLAs the BJP has 91 in the 243-member Bihar Assembly.
Ruling JD(U) has 118 MLAs, including the Speaker, while Congress has 4, LJP and CPI one each and Independents 6.
Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition in the Bihar Assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui of RJD has refused to resign on his own in the changed scenario in which BJP with 91 MLAs would be in opposition benches.
"Why shall I resign, if the other party elects its Legislature party leader and claims post, the Speaker will decide,"
"In that case I will make way for the new opposition leader," Siddiqui told reporters on the sidelines of a Press Conference addressed by party president Lalu Prasad.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive