RJD MP Umashankar Singh dead
New Delhi: RJD Lok Sabha MP Umashankar Singh died this morning at a hospital here, his family said.
72-year-old Singh breathed his last at the AIIMS where he had been admitted for treatment of pneumonia and lung infection. He is survived by his wife and four sons.
A five-time MLA, he was elected MP from Maharajganj in 2009 and was one of the four MPs of Lalu Prasad`s Rashtriya Janta Dal.
Prasad condoled the death of Singh. The RJD chief, who came to party office in Patna on the occasion of the 89th birth anniversary of socialist leader Karpoori Thakur, led his party members in observing a minute`s silence to condole the death of the MP.
Born in village Renuwa of Siwan district of Bihar, Singh had been elected to the Assembly for the first time in 1977 from Maharajganj and had served as MLA five times till 2005 on tickets from various parties.
Singh was Bihar President of Janata Dal (United) before switching sides to RJD on the eve of last general elections.
Singh`s family said that he had visited Chennai and Goa as a member of a Parliamentary Committee recently and fell ill soon after coming back here.
He was admitted to AIIMS on January 18 after suffering from penumonia.
Singh was earlier treated in Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital this month after he had caught cold.
He is a member of Lok Sabha`s Committee on Railways and on Empowerment of Women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today
- Shashank Manohar to step down as BCCI boss for ICC chairman's post?