RJD points to television footage of firing in the air; demands action
Patna: Television footage of the firing of a carbine allegedly by JD(U) leader Ranveer Yadav during protests in Khagaria district at the Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s `Adhikar Yatra` has not invited any action, senior RJD leader Abdul Bari Siddique said on Friday.
Siddique, the Leader of the Opposition referred to the news channel footage showing Yadav snatching the carbine from a police officer and firing in the air to intimidate protesters to clear road for the chief minister`s cavalcade yesterday.
If the state government was so committed to enforce the rule of law, then why no action was taken against Yadav even 24 hours after occurrence of the incident, Siddique demanded to know.
The display of carbine in a public place by a citizen amounted to be a cognizable offence, the RJD leader said and asked the police to explain why no FIR was filed against the JD(U) strongman and husband of ruling party MLA Poonam Devi.
He held Kumar responsible for the protests by contractual teachers and others yesterday and alleged that the chief minister had made provocative remarks which did not go down well with the protesters.
"The largescale violence by protesters in Khagaria district and elsewhere is a manifestation of public anger against the state government for its failure on all fronts," he said.
On the chief minister`s accusation that the violence was orchestrated at the behest of the RJD and other opposition parties, Siddique said it was a failure of the intelligence in such a case.
On the demand for a high-level probe into the violence, he said "Let the state government get the incidents probed by even the CBI."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi