RJD to meet Tuesday to discuss Rajya Sabha bypolls
Patna: Holding the key to bypoll for two Rajya Sabha seats in Bihar, RJD, which has been approached by JD(U) to ensure victory of its candidates in view of potential challenge from rebels and BJP, on Monday decided to hold its Legislature party meeting here tomorrow to firm up strategy.
RJD Legislature party meeting has been called at 10 Circular Road residence of former Chief Minister Rabri Devi tomorrow, party Legislators said.
While stand on June 19 voting will be firmed up tomorrow, some RJD MLAs personally were against acceding to the appeal by Nitish Kumar accusing him of "damaging" party and Prasad time and again.
Incidentally, JD(U) has also called its Legislature party meeting at One Anne Marg residence of Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi, across the road to the RJD venue, tomorrow at 6:30 pm.
RJD Legislature party has authorised Lalu Prasad to take a decision on voting for RS bypoll and the latter said he would take a decision after consulting party Legislators.
Burying two decades of rivalry, Nitish Kumar had rang up Lalu Prasad on Friday, appealing to him to support JD(U) candidates--diplomat-politician Pawan Varma and Gulam Rasool Balyawi--in RS bypoll to foil the challenge posed by the rebels and BJP.
Kumar also had telephonic talks with Congress and CPI leaders for forging a unity of secular forces against BJP.
In Bihar Assembly whose effective strength at present is 232 with 11 vacancies, ruling JD(U) has 117 MLAs including Speaker, BJP 84, RJD 21, Congress 4, Independents 5 and CPI 1.
Given its strength, victory for JD(U)`s two candidates against Independents would not have been a big deal. But, with a sizeable section of JD(U) MLAs turning rebel and openly supporting nomination of Independents--real estate baron Anil Sharma and Sabir Ali--and BJP indicating help to them, the situation is dicey for Nitish Kumar`s party.
RJD`s Bhai Birendra, Dinesh Kumar Singh and Akhtarul Islam Sahin spoke against Nitish Kumar`s appeal.
They, however, made it clear that Lalu Prasad`s decision would be abided by everybody.
Dinesh Kumar Singh, RJD MLA from Jagdishpur in Bhojpur district, told that he was personally against any truck with Nitish Kumar.
"When RJD had voted for Manjhi government in confidence motion, Nitish Kumar, Manjhi and others had made fun of us and Lalu Prasad saying that they did not seek support and RJD was extending support on its own," he said.
He further questioned "had Nitish Kumar consulted Lalu Prasad before deciding name of RS candidates?"
Sahin and Bhai Birendra also pointed to the "irresponsible" statements by JD(U) on RJD voting for Manjhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt