RJD`s no-confidence motion against NDA govt rejected
Patna: In a major embarrassment to the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), its no-confidence motion in the Bihar Assembly against the Nitish Kumar government was on Thursday rejected by Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary for lack of required strength of supporting members.
Soon after the Question Hour, RJD MLA Durga Prasad Singh and six other party members submitted a no-confidence motion against the government to the Speaker.
After a brief perusal of the signatories, Chaudhary rejected the no-confidence motion on the ground that only 17 members wanted to bring such a motion as against minimum requirement of 23 members.
The Congress (4), LJP (1), CPI (1) and six Independent MLAs did not come forward to support the RJD`s no-confidence motion.
Singh, however, defended his initiative to bring the no-confidence motion saying he did so to shake up the state government "which was not discharging its constitutional duty properly".
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who was present in the House when the motion was submitted, sought to support the Opposition`s right to do so, but maintained that the Speaker was the sole authority to decide on the matter as per rules.
Water Resources Department (WRD) Minister Vijay Kumar Chaudhary said the RJD, being the main Opposition, "has no knowledge of parliamentary norms" and it tried to make a mockery of the rules by introducing the no-confidence motion without having the required strength.
Chaudhary claimed that even Leader of Opposition Abdul Bari Siddique was not consulted by fellow RJD MLAs on introduction of the motion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India