Roadmap ready for new beginning for Nalanda University
New Delhi: India`s ancient school of learning Nalanda University is set to revive its glory with a roadmap being prepared for a new beginning for the institution.
A Nalanda Mentor Group, which has been set up by the government as an interim governing board of the university, has drawn up detained plans for its revival.
The Ministry of External Affairs has already prepared the Nalanda University Bill which is expected to be introduced in Parliament during the ongoing session.
Head of the mentor group and Nobel laureate Prof Amartya Sen today said the proposed university will have schools like Buddhist Studies, Philosophy and Comparative Literature, Historical Studies and Ecology and Environmental Studies, among others.
The Mentor Group is expecting good amount of donations from government, private sector, NGOs and religious institutions, Sen said. However, he did not give any
time-frame on when the university would start functioning.
He said the proposed university will have collaborations with other old universities, including the Al-Azhar University of Egypt, Oxford and Cambridge Universities in Britain and Harvard University in the US.
Sen said that the proposed institution will have a lot of collaboration with China which has more Buddhists than any country. Certain job-oriented programmes will be offered in
this institution, he said.
Singaporean Foreign Minister George Yeo, who is a member of the Mentor Group, said that the university will be marketed in China after the bill is passed in Parliament.
The bill will be presented in the East Asia Summit in Hanoi in October after its passage in Parliament, he said. The East Asia Summit is the initiating body of the project. Yeo
said the project which will cost Rs 1,005 crore will make a contribution to the "new Asia".
The President of India will be the visitor of this institution. Prof Gopa Sabharwal has been selected as the Vice Chancellor designate for the university.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has assured to provide the required assistance, including security for the faculty and students, Sen said.
The Union Cabinet had last month cleared the draft Nalanda University bill. India as the host country will make significant contribution in the initial stage, with the
Planning Commission already having allocated Rs 50 crore as endowment fund in the form of a special grant.
The Nalanda Mentor Group shall exercise powers as the interim governing board of the university for a period of one year or till the members of the governing board are nominated.
Sen said the proposed university may offer courses in Mathematics and Astronomy, the two disciplines for which Nalanda was known worldwide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon