Rohtas bandh hits normal life
Sasaram: The 9-hour Rohtas district bandh, called by BJP and LJP to protest the police firing at Akbarpur in which two persons were killed on Tuesday, hit the normal life today.
Shops were closed and vehicles did not ply. The protesters blocked traffic in various places in Sasaram town and adjoining areas, police said.
Scores of BJP and LJP workers and their supporters moved in various places in the district enforcing the bandh and demanded Rs 10 lakh compensation for the families of the victims by the administration.
Akbarpur, where the incident had occurred, observed a total bandh with the market area completely closed and residents remaining indoors.
The Bandh call is from 6 AM to 3 PM to ensure Muslims do not face any problem in ending their Ramzan fast in the evening, bandh organisers said.
Police personnel backed by two companies of Rapid Action Force (RAF) stood guard at various places in the district to check any incident of violence by protesters.
Patna Divisional Commissioner N Vijaylakshmi and Zonal Inspector General (IG) Kundan Krishnan camped in the district to monitor the situation.
"The bandh has been peaceful. There has been no violence or arrest. Roads have been blocked at three places - near the post office in Sasaram, Shivsagar area and Tilauthi. We expect all the routes will be cleared once the bandh is over," the IG said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital