Rohtas bandh hits normal life
Sasaram: The 9-hour Rohtas district bandh, called by BJP and LJP to protest the police firing at Akbarpur in which two persons were killed on Tuesday, hit the normal life today.
Shops were closed and vehicles did not ply. The protesters blocked traffic in various places in Sasaram town and adjoining areas, police said.
Scores of BJP and LJP workers and their supporters moved in various places in the district enforcing the bandh and demanded Rs 10 lakh compensation for the families of the victims by the administration.
Akbarpur, where the incident had occurred, observed a total bandh with the market area completely closed and residents remaining indoors.
The Bandh call is from 6 AM to 3 PM to ensure Muslims do not face any problem in ending their Ramzan fast in the evening, bandh organisers said.
Police personnel backed by two companies of Rapid Action Force (RAF) stood guard at various places in the district to check any incident of violence by protesters.
Patna Divisional Commissioner N Vijaylakshmi and Zonal Inspector General (IG) Kundan Krishnan camped in the district to monitor the situation.
"The bandh has been peaceful. There has been no violence or arrest. Roads have been blocked at three places - near the post office in Sasaram, Shivsagar area and Tilauthi. We expect all the routes will be cleared once the bandh is over," the IG said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly