`Sanitation Campaign not up to the mark in Bihar`
Patna: Total Sanitation Campaign to provide
sanitation in all rural areas of Bihar by 2012 has not been up
to the mark, according to a CAG report.
Principal Accountant General (Bihar) Preman Dinaraj told
reporters today that the programme, launched by the Centre in
1999 and was to be implemented in a time-bound manner,
suffered at various stages due to the non-availability of
reliable baseline data and slow and tardy implementation.
The other problems faced by the programme were
expenditure on various components, deficient information on
education and communication activities, lack of community
participation and proper monitoring.
The Centre had approved Rs 1967.11 crore for all 38
districts of the state for the programme but the expenditure
against available funds ranged between 20 and 54 per cent
during 2005-10, the CAG said in its report for the period
ended on March 31, 2010.
An amount of Rs 13.45 crore out of Rs 26.40 crore
released as state share during December 2007 and March 2010
for the programme in the state was utilised for construction
of latrines for above poverty line families in Bihar in
contravention of the guidelines, it said.
The report said the ultimate goal of information,
education and communication activities such as creation of
demand and awareness and ensuring the use of assets created
was not achieved despite an expenditure of Rs 8.28 crore
Besides, an amount of Rs 5.55 crore for construction of
toilets in schools was lying unutilised as advance with Bihar
Education Project since February 2006.
Only seven per cent of targeted Community Sanitary
Complex were completed and Rs 70 lakh spent on them was
rendered unfruitful as they lay unused.
Against the available funds of Rs 478.18 crore, only
Rs 360.07 crore were spent during 2005-10. An amount of Rs
118.11 crore, being 25 per cent of the total available funds,
remained unutilised as of March 2010, the report noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city