SC Commission Vice Chairman criticises Nitish govt
Patna: Visibly angry over Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar refusing to meet him, Vice Chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Castes R K Verka on Wednesday criticised the state government for mid-day meal tragedy and increasing cases of atrocities on Dalits.
"I came here to discuss Chhapra mid-day meal tragedy and discuss some grave cases of atrocities on Dalits but I was told by chief minister`s office that the chief minister does not have time," an upset Verka told reporters.
Verka said that in the wake of the Commission seeking report from the state government over Chhapra mid-day meal scheme in which 15 children of the 23 victims were OBCs and SCs, he said he met officials and expressed unhappiness over Saran district administration showing negligible progress in the event.
"The guilty has also not yet been identified," he said.
The Commission Vice Chairman said he told the officials to submit the action taken report on the midday meal incident within seven days.
Verka also came down heavily on Nitish Kumar government for growing cases of atrocities on Dalits in the state.
"Over 150 cases of atrocities on Dalits have come to us and seeing inaction of the state government the Commission might send them to CBI for probe," he added.
He said though it was required to hold meeting of SC&ST and OBC vigilance monitoring committee every three months, but it had not been followed in Bihar.
The Commission Vice Chairman also lamented that disposal rate of cases against Dalits was around 3 per cent in Bihar as compared to 35-40 per cent at the national level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan