SC convicts Bihar`s ex-chief secretary for contempt
New Delhi: Former Bihar chief secretary Gurminder Singh Kang has been held guilty of contempt of court by the Supreme Court for not complying with a Patna High Court direction but was let off with `stern warning` and a fine of Rs 2,000.
A bench of justices TS Thakur and FM Ibrahim Kalifulla showed leniency to the retired bureaucrat considering his old age and set aside two months jail term, awarded to him by the high court.
"We hold that the orders impugned in the appeal in having concluded that he committed contempt of high court`s order does not call for interference. We, however, take into account the age of the appellant as well as the remorse conduct now displayed before us, we are of the view that the simple imprisonment of two months alone need not be retained," the bench said.
The bench also expressed displeasure that court`s orders are not being followed by government officers.
"Of late, we come across several such instances, where high level officers of the administration display scant regard for the orders of the court and always come forward with lame excuses," the bench said.
The court passed the order on an appeal by Kang against the high court`s order sentencing him to 2 months in jail for not implementing its order during his tenure as Commissioner, Food and Supplies and Commerce.
The high court had on March 22, 2004 convicted him of committing contempt of court for not cancelling promotion of a government employee in 1995.
Upholding the high court`s order of conviction, the apex court said "orders and judgements of the court are meant to be obeyed and not to be disobeyed, with impunity."
"We impose a stern warning to be recorded as against the appellant apart from confirming the imposition of fine of Rs 2000 to be paid as per the order of the learned judge impugned in this appeal," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days