SC slams Patna HC, quashes bail of Pappu Yadav
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday quashed the bail granted to former MP and RJD leader Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav in the Ajit Sarkar murder case and slammed the Patna High Court for violating its order.
A bench of Justices Markandey Katju and A K Patnaik said the High Court`s decision amounted to contempt of the apex court which had clearly restrained any court in the
country from granting bail to Yadav.
"It is a matter of regret that despite clear order passed by this court in 2007 that no bail should be granted by any court, the High Court has gone ahead and granted bail,"
the bench observed while allowing an appeal filed by the CBI seeking cancellation of the bail.
The CBI had on March 26 approached the apex court challenging the Patna High Court`s February 18, 2009 order granting bail to the 43-year-old RJD leader undergoing life
imprisonment in the murder case.
The apex court said that it is a general rule that when the apex court rejects the bail, the High Courts or the subordinate courts cannot in any manner grant bail to the
accused or the convicts.
Similarly, when the High Court rejects a bail, the Sessions courts or the magistrates do not have any power to grant bail, it said.
But in the present case, the bench regretted that the High Court granted bail to Yadav despite an injunction by the apex court.
Earlier, Additional Solicitor General Haren Raval complained that the High Court granted bail to the RJD leader without passing any reasoned order after initially rejecting his two bail applications.
Special CBI judge B M Srivastava had on February 14, 2008, pronounced Yadav, former independent MLA Rajan Tiwari and Anil Yadav guilty and awarded them jail terms for life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks