SC stays order quashing Bihar MP`s election
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday stayed the decision of the Patna High Court quashing the election of JD-U MP Dinesh Chandra Yadav from the Khagaria Lok Sabha constituency of Bihar in 2009.
Yadav`s election was set aside on February 6 by the high court on the petition filed by CPI leader Satya Narayan Singh who had contended that his nomination for the 2009 general election was rejected by the then returning officer in an improper manner.
"We are granting stay," a bench comprising justices P Sathasivam and J S Khehar said after senior advocate Amrender Sharan and Amit Anand Tiwary mentioned the petition on behalf of Yadav.
The bench said Yadav`s election was set aside not on the grounds of corrupt practice but due to the rejection of the nomination paper of another candidate.
"Here it is a pure question of law," it bench said after Sharan referred to a Constitution Bench judgement of the apex court to buttress that the high court verdict suffers from error.
"In view of the decision of the Constitution Bench of this court and also election of the petitioner (Yadav) was set aside not because of reasons of corruption but the nomination (of another candidate) was wrongly rejected, we accordingly stay the order (of the high court)," the bench said.
It allowed the CPI leader, who had succeeded in the high court, to file response to the JD-U leader`s appeal.
The high court had directed the Election Commission to conduct a by-poll in reasonable time.
Singh had moved the high court in 2009 seeking quashing of Yadav`s election contending that his nomination was rejected by the returning officer illegally on the ground that he had not filled Form 26 properly.
Singh had contended that the returning officer did not grant him an opportunity to rectify the mistakes in Form 26 which would have made him eligible to contest the seat.
Yadav was declared elected to the Lok Sabha from Khagaria parliamentary seat on May 16, 2009.
The high court had set aside the May 11, 2009 order of the returning officer rejecting the nomination of Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department