Security beefed up at Mahabodhi temple in wake of militant attack threat
Gaya: The Gaya district administration has tightened security and set up a control room to monitor activities at world-famous Mahabodhi temple complex 24X7 in view of threat of a militant attack.
The Special Task Force (STF) has been deployed at the temple on a permanent basis.
The Bodh Gaya temple management committee and the district police have deployed additional security officials, so as to avert any untoward incident.
Recently, the Delhi police had arrested three suspects, hailing from various cities of western Maharashtra, and Delhi.
The militants were allegedly arrested with explosives and detonators for carrying out strikes in the national capital during the festive season.
A security official, Naval Kishore, said that they are frisking pilgrims thoroughly to prevent any militant attacks.
“After the recent incident in Delhi, we have beefed up security here. We are checking bags and if we suspect someone, then we are checking them even more thoroughly. After the arrests in Delhi, we are taking strict action,” he told reporters.
Additional armed security teams were deployed at the temple entrance and were seen frisking devotees entering the temple premises.
Armed security personnel can also be seen patrolling in crowded market areas near the temple.
According to reports, the measures have been taken following a threat by Indian Mujahideen militants to attack the Buddhist shrine.
CCTV cameras have been installed in and around the temple and women security officials have been deployed so that they can frisk female pilgrims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city