Security tightened at Mahabodhi temple
Gaya: Tight security measures have been put in place at the world-famous Mahabodhi temple at Bodh Gaya in Bihar`s Gaya district and the Special Task Force (STF) deployed there in view of threat of militant attack.
As part of measures, a platoon of the STF was deployed at the Mahabodhi temple on permanent basis, DIG (Magadh range) N Hasnain Khan said.
The Bodh Gaya temple management committee (BTMC) and the district police have also arranged security measures in and around the Mahabodhi temple.
The measures were taken following threat by Indian Mujahideen militants to attack the Buddhist shrine, he said.
The measures include installation of CCTV cameras in and around the temple, round-the-clock patrolling by the police on Gaya-Dobhi and Gaya-Falgu roads and deployment of women police at the temple for frisking women pilgrims, official sources said.
The Mahabodhi Temple is one of the 84,000 shrines erected by King Asoka the Great in the 3rd century B.C.
The decision for additional security measures at the temple was taken at a recent meeting of the BTMC and the district authorities.
Various Buddhist monasteries too will be brought under monitoring by CCTV cameras, they said.
A control room will be set up at the Bodh Gaya police station located adjacent to the Mahabodhi temple to monitor activities and movement of people under the coverage area, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi