Security tightened at Mahabodhi temple
Gaya: Tight security measures have been put in place at the world-famous Mahabodhi temple at Bodh Gaya in Bihar`s Gaya district and the Special Task Force (STF) deployed there in view of threat of militant attack.
As part of measures, a platoon of the STF was deployed at the Mahabodhi temple on permanent basis, DIG (Magadh range) N Hasnain Khan said.
The Bodh Gaya temple management committee (BTMC) and the district police have also arranged security measures in and around the Mahabodhi temple.
The measures were taken following threat by Indian Mujahideen militants to attack the Buddhist shrine, he said.
The measures include installation of CCTV cameras in and around the temple, round-the-clock patrolling by the police on Gaya-Dobhi and Gaya-Falgu roads and deployment of women police at the temple for frisking women pilgrims, official sources said.
The Mahabodhi Temple is one of the 84,000 shrines erected by King Asoka the Great in the 3rd century B.C.
The decision for additional security measures at the temple was taken at a recent meeting of the BTMC and the district authorities.
Various Buddhist monasteries too will be brought under monitoring by CCTV cameras, they said.
A control room will be set up at the Bodh Gaya police station located adjacent to the Mahabodhi temple to monitor activities and movement of people under the coverage area, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat