Seed of `JP movement` in Anna`s drive: Shatrughan
New Delhi: Supporting the anti-corruption
agitation of Anna Hazare, actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha
on Wednesday said the campaign has semblance to the 1974 JP
movement "which brought about a historic change" in the
"The anti-corruption campaign of Anna Hazare for Lokpal
bill and UPA government action to gag the voice against
corruption reminds me of the 1974 movement launched by
Loknayak Jayprakash Narayan which had united the entire
opposition and brought a historic change in the country,"
Sinha, BJP Lok Sabha member from Patna Saheb, said.
Sinha, a close follower of JP, criticised the move of
sending Hazare to Tihar Jail.
"The rallying of common man in support of Hazare has
resemblance with the backing JP had received against Emergency
in mid-70s," Sinha said.
"First they swooped in the middle of the night on peaceful
demonstrators led by Ramdev and now Hazare has been prevented
from leading a peaceful agitation against corruption," he
He claimed that majority of people in the film world are
also supporting the issue raised by Hazare and criticising the
government for showing "intolerance" towards protest against
"The kind of support Hazare is getting from people in
Bihar and elsewhere indicates that the popularity of Manmohan
Singh government has touched an all time low," he said, adding
this would be demonstrated in the coming polls in Uttar
Pradesh, Gujarat, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan