Seed of `JP movement` in Anna`s drive: Shatrughan
New Delhi: Supporting the anti-corruption
agitation of Anna Hazare, actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha
on Wednesday said the campaign has semblance to the 1974 JP
movement "which brought about a historic change" in the
"The anti-corruption campaign of Anna Hazare for Lokpal
bill and UPA government action to gag the voice against
corruption reminds me of the 1974 movement launched by
Loknayak Jayprakash Narayan which had united the entire
opposition and brought a historic change in the country,"
Sinha, BJP Lok Sabha member from Patna Saheb, said.
Sinha, a close follower of JP, criticised the move of
sending Hazare to Tihar Jail.
"The rallying of common man in support of Hazare has
resemblance with the backing JP had received against Emergency
in mid-70s," Sinha said.
"First they swooped in the middle of the night on peaceful
demonstrators led by Ramdev and now Hazare has been prevented
from leading a peaceful agitation against corruption," he
He claimed that majority of people in the film world are
also supporting the issue raised by Hazare and criticising the
government for showing "intolerance" towards protest against
"The kind of support Hazare is getting from people in
Bihar and elsewhere indicates that the popularity of Manmohan
Singh government has touched an all time low," he said, adding
this would be demonstrated in the coming polls in Uttar
Pradesh, Gujarat, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25