Seven policemen injured in stone-pelting
Gaya: Angry over the arrest of a village head in connection with an incident of shootout, hundreds of locals gathered at Belaganj police station in Gaya district and indulged in heavy stone-throwing injuring seven cops on Tuesday.
Additional Superintendent of Police Shafiul Haque said the village head Suraj Yadav of Sirala panchayat and his three supporters were arrested after an incident of shoot-out at Rambigha village.
Their arrest sparked off violent protest by locals who started demonstrating before the police station.
As the situation went beyond control, police opened fire in self-defence, Haque said.
The situation was tense but under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement