Siddique demands CBI probe into BSEB revenue loss
Patna: Leader of Opposition Abdul Bari Siddique
Wednesday demanded a CBI probe into the alleged revenue loss of
over Rs 4000 crore by Bihar State Electricity Board since 2008
due to non-realisation of penalty from industrial units.
Siddique in a letter to Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said a
state agency was incapable of probing the matter and the CBI
probe would rein in electricity theft, increase the revenue of
the department and improve power supply in Bihar.
He claimed that 53 industrial units had been found guilty
of involvement in deliberate theft of electricity by tampering
meters and resorting to other measures apparently with the
help of BSEB engineers.
But the concerned department relaxed the rules of penalty
and allowed those involved in electricity theft to get away
with minor fines, he said, adding it later barred surprise
checks at the industrial installations to detect electricity
The relaxation in the BSEB rules were pointer to the
involvement of its officials and engineers in causing revenue
loss to the former for personal gains, he alleged.
If the penalties to be realised from all firms and
industrial units in the state were added then the amount would
exceed Rs 4000 crore, he said adding the revenue loss to BSEB
was caused by its officials and engineers in collusion with
`some powerful people in power`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?