Six get two-year jail in Bhagalpur riots case
Patna: A court in Bihar sentenced six persons accused in a case of murder during the 1989 communal riots in Bhagalpur to two years` rigorous imprisonment after convicting them of involvement in the crime, court sources said Tuesday.
Bhagalpur Additional District and Sessions judge Anil Kumar Pandey acquitted the six of charges of murdering a Muslim man during the riots but found them guilty of involvement in the crime.
Over 1,000 people, a majority of them Muslims, were killed in the month-long riots in Bhagalpur city in October 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!