SK Modi urges Centre to probe allegations against Konwar
Sheohar: With Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar shifted to Tripura, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi on Sunday urged the Centre to order a probe into allegations that he has taken money for appointments of Vice Chancellors and pro VCs.
"A Congress Legislator had levelled allegation, of him (Konwar) taking money in appointment of VCs and pro VCs which the Centre should get probed," Modi told reporters.
Congress MLC Jyoti had disrupted Governor`s address to joint session of Bihar Legislature on February 18 last, shouting that Konwar had allegedly "taken Rs 3 crore in appointment of VC and Rs 1 crore for pro VCs."
Konwar had scolded her for causing disruption.
Konwar as Chancellor of Universities had recently reappointed 8 VCs and two pro VCs. Earlier, the Patna High Court had quashed appointment of 6 VCs (out of these 8) on the ground that state government was not consulted.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had made his displeasure public over the issue.
Unmindful of criticism and court order, the Chancellor had reappointed these 6 VCs including, that of Patna University Sambhunath Singh recently.
The matter was raised in the state Legislative Assembly recently during which Education Minister P K Shahi alleged that while two VCs including that of Patna University were facing vigilance probe while another was involved in a police case.
President Pranab Mukherjee had yesterday announced transfer of Konwar to Tripura while Tripura Governor D Y Patil will become the new Bihar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it