SK Modi urges Centre to probe allegations against Konwar
Sheohar: With Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar shifted to Tripura, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi on Sunday urged the Centre to order a probe into allegations that he has taken money for appointments of Vice Chancellors and pro VCs.
"A Congress Legislator had levelled allegation, of him (Konwar) taking money in appointment of VCs and pro VCs which the Centre should get probed," Modi told reporters.
Congress MLC Jyoti had disrupted Governor`s address to joint session of Bihar Legislature on February 18 last, shouting that Konwar had allegedly "taken Rs 3 crore in appointment of VC and Rs 1 crore for pro VCs."
Konwar had scolded her for causing disruption.
Konwar as Chancellor of Universities had recently reappointed 8 VCs and two pro VCs. Earlier, the Patna High Court had quashed appointment of 6 VCs (out of these 8) on the ground that state government was not consulted.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had made his displeasure public over the issue.
Unmindful of criticism and court order, the Chancellor had reappointed these 6 VCs including, that of Patna University Sambhunath Singh recently.
The matter was raised in the state Legislative Assembly recently during which Education Minister P K Shahi alleged that while two VCs including that of Patna University were facing vigilance probe while another was involved in a police case.
President Pranab Mukherjee had yesterday announced transfer of Konwar to Tripura while Tripura Governor D Y Patil will become the new Bihar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister