Social activists call for strengthening of RTI Act
Patna: A number of social activists, including Magsaysay award winner Sandeep Pandey, on Wednesday called for measures to strengthen the Right to Information Act (RTI) for a transparent governance in the country.
Addressing the inaugural session of the state convention of the National Campaign for People’s Right to Information (NCPRI), Pandey slammed political parties for opposing a Central Information Commission order to make public their financial details under RTI.
"Why are our political parties hiding its financial details, including collection of donation and expenditure, from public scrutiny under the RTI if there is nothing fishy about their accounts?" he asked.
Pandey asked political parties to submit their accounts for public scrutiny if they want RTI to succeed in its objective of ushering in a transparent system.
Prominent RTI activist Nikhil Dey emphasised on the safety and security of RTI activists and demanded enactment of a whistle blowers protection Act to protect the volunteers.
Padam Shree awardee Sudha Verghese, who runs an NGO, opposed the proposed amendment to the RTI Act that will give immunity to political parties, saying that it will dilute its strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi