Social activists call for strengthening of RTI Act
Patna: A number of social activists, including Magsaysay award winner Sandeep Pandey, on Wednesday called for measures to strengthen the Right to Information Act (RTI) for a transparent governance in the country.
Addressing the inaugural session of the state convention of the National Campaign for People’s Right to Information (NCPRI), Pandey slammed political parties for opposing a Central Information Commission order to make public their financial details under RTI.
"Why are our political parties hiding its financial details, including collection of donation and expenditure, from public scrutiny under the RTI if there is nothing fishy about their accounts?" he asked.
Pandey asked political parties to submit their accounts for public scrutiny if they want RTI to succeed in its objective of ushering in a transparent system.
Prominent RTI activist Nikhil Dey emphasised on the safety and security of RTI activists and demanded enactment of a whistle blowers protection Act to protect the volunteers.
Padam Shree awardee Sudha Verghese, who runs an NGO, opposed the proposed amendment to the RTI Act that will give immunity to political parties, saying that it will dilute its strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested