Social activists call for strengthening of RTI Act
Patna: A number of social activists, including Magsaysay award winner Sandeep Pandey, on Wednesday called for measures to strengthen the Right to Information Act (RTI) for a transparent governance in the country.
Addressing the inaugural session of the state convention of the National Campaign for People’s Right to Information (NCPRI), Pandey slammed political parties for opposing a Central Information Commission order to make public their financial details under RTI.
"Why are our political parties hiding its financial details, including collection of donation and expenditure, from public scrutiny under the RTI if there is nothing fishy about their accounts?" he asked.
Pandey asked political parties to submit their accounts for public scrutiny if they want RTI to succeed in its objective of ushering in a transparent system.
Prominent RTI activist Nikhil Dey emphasised on the safety and security of RTI activists and demanded enactment of a whistle blowers protection Act to protect the volunteers.
Padam Shree awardee Sudha Verghese, who runs an NGO, opposed the proposed amendment to the RTI Act that will give immunity to political parties, saying that it will dilute its strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Is ‘Junooniyat’, ‘Sanam Re 2’? Yami Gautam will tell you
- IPL 2016: Sunil Gavaskar thinks de Villiers is 'AB-CDE' - Find out why!
- Batla House encounter: Subramanian Swamy calls for NIA probe against Digvijay Singh
- Maruti Alto 800 Facelift: How different is the new model?
- Suicide bombing in Kabul kills 10 people