Some people trying to derail campaign against graft: Bihar CM
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
on Friday said some vested interests were trying to derail the
Anna Hazare`s movement against corruption but they would not
"Attempts are being made to derail the crusade against
corruption... The movement will continue till its logical
end," he said referring to a slew of charges against eminent
lawyer Shanti Bhushan, the co-chairman of the committee for
drafting of Lokpal bill.
Kumar asked the MLAs to declare their assets annually
for probity in public life.
The MLAs should declare their assets as the law is
applicable to all public persons comprising both elected
representatives and officials and the NDA government had made
it mandatory for council of ministers, government officials
from grade I to grade III to declare their assets annually,
he said at a function held on the eve of Veer Kunwar Singh
Vijayotsava to be held tomorrow in the state.
Since the declaration of assets by ministers, government
officials and employees have been made mandatory on an annual
basis, it was for the people to report their hidden wealth and
file cases against them, he said.
Claiming that his government had introduced transparent
governance in Bihar, Kumar said it had got the Right to
Service Bill passed to fix the accountability of government
officials in the discharge of public works.
The state government had also enacted a legislation for
speedy trial of corruption cases by a special court in a
time-bound manner and confiscation of properties amassed
through illicit means.
The next general election, he claimed, would be fought
on corruption issue as people are fed up with the vice and are
keeping a close watch on the government vis-a-vis its will to
deal with it.
"I can sense the public anger against corruption and
their desire for a clean and transparent political system in
the country ... The people`s desire to rid the system of
corruption is very palpable," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi