Some people trying to derail campaign against graft: Bihar CM
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
on Friday said some vested interests were trying to derail the
Anna Hazare`s movement against corruption but they would not
"Attempts are being made to derail the crusade against
corruption... The movement will continue till its logical
end," he said referring to a slew of charges against eminent
lawyer Shanti Bhushan, the co-chairman of the committee for
drafting of Lokpal bill.
Kumar asked the MLAs to declare their assets annually
for probity in public life.
The MLAs should declare their assets as the law is
applicable to all public persons comprising both elected
representatives and officials and the NDA government had made
it mandatory for council of ministers, government officials
from grade I to grade III to declare their assets annually,
he said at a function held on the eve of Veer Kunwar Singh
Vijayotsava to be held tomorrow in the state.
Since the declaration of assets by ministers, government
officials and employees have been made mandatory on an annual
basis, it was for the people to report their hidden wealth and
file cases against them, he said.
Claiming that his government had introduced transparent
governance in Bihar, Kumar said it had got the Right to
Service Bill passed to fix the accountability of government
officials in the discharge of public works.
The state government had also enacted a legislation for
speedy trial of corruption cases by a special court in a
time-bound manner and confiscation of properties amassed
through illicit means.
The next general election, he claimed, would be fought
on corruption issue as people are fed up with the vice and are
keeping a close watch on the government vis-a-vis its will to
deal with it.
"I can sense the public anger against corruption and
their desire for a clean and transparent political system in
the country ... The people`s desire to rid the system of
corruption is very palpable," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test