Sone dispute: HC asks Centre to set up tribunal
Patna: Patna High Court on Wednesday asked the
Centre to form a Water Dispute Redressal Tribunal in the
possible quickest time to resolve the dispute among Bihar,
Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh over sharing of
A division Bench comprising Justices S K Katriar and
Ahsanuddin Amanullah passed the order on a PIL filed by former
BJP legislator Saryu Rai and 115 other villagers of Rohtas,
Buxar, Aurangabad, Patna and Bhojpur districts.
"The Centre must constitute the tribunal as soon as
possible to solve the dispute," the judges said.
The petitioners had urged the court for issuing
directive to the Centre for ensuring proper share of Sone
waters as per the `Bansagar agreement`.
The petitioners maintained that villagers and farmers
of erstwhile Shahabad, Gaya and Patna districts had been
beneficiaries of the canal system for over 120 years and it
helped cultivation and livelihood in the Sone canal basin.
The petitioners had said that the river originates
from Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh and disgorging into the
Ganga near Maner in Patna had been impeded by the UP
government which constructed a dam on Rihand and the MP
government further restricted the flow building another dam at
The counsels appearing on behalf of the Centre, NTPC
and the states other than Bihar had contended that the high
court has no jurisdiction to decide a dispute pertaining to
sharing of waters between different states and as per Section
4 of the Inter State River Dispute Act of 1956, the union
government was the appropriate authority to constitute a water
dispute tribunal to deal with such issues.
Bihar, on the other hand, wanted that a direction be
given by the court to `Rihand Reservoir Joint Operating
Committee` to ensure distribution of proper allotted share of
water from Rihand.
Sary Roy had contended that non-allotment of the water
share to Bihar was violation of the fundamental rights of the
farmers and it has adversely affected the economy of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow