Sonia asks partymen to put up a united fight, Cong needles CM
New Delhi: With Bihar going to polls tomorrow, Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday asked Congress workers to put up a united fight while her party stepped up attack on Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, accusing him of following "double-faced" policy on secularism.
"The Bihar assembly election is the next challenge
facing the Congress party. Our party workers must give our
opponents a united fight. Only by doing so, we will strengthen
our organisation and lead the party to victory," Gandhi said
in her Letter to Congresspersons in the party mouthpiece
The AICC, meanwhile, launched a scathing attack
against Kumar accusing him of not having a "clean heart" and
adopting a "double-faced policy" on secularism.
"BJP and JD-U have an alliance in Bihar. There
cannot be any bigger definition of political opportunism than
this. Nitish Kumar has run his government for five years
in alliance with BJP.
"He had also been a minister in the NDA government and
chose to stay on even after the carnage in Gujarat when
everybody was distancing from Narendra Modi. But he is now shy
of sharing dais with BJP leaders. How long will he be able to
mislead the people through this double-faced policy on
secularism. People of the state need to realize this,"
Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari said.
He also asked Kumar "whether he considers BJP also
responsible along with Modi for the Gujrat carnage" and "does
he accept that BJP should seek apology from the nation for
The party has been attacking Kumar on the issue of
secularism. Gandhi during an election rally in Bihar a few
days back also attacked Kumar for running a government with
the help of "those dead against secularism".
Congress appointed a Muslim as its PCC chief ahead of
the assembly elections and had given tickets to more than
50 Muslim candidates this time while top Congress leaders had
addressed rallies in Muslim dominated constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief
- Asian markets sink as stimulus hopes rolled back
- Lodha panel report: CAB cancels AGM after SC's verdict