Speedy trial begins in Japanese woman`s gangrape case
Patna: A Bihar court on Thursday began the trial into the gangrape of a Japanese woman on April 16. Three people have been arrested.
The speedy trial began in the court of the chief judicial magistrate in Gaya, a day after police filed its chargesheet against the three accused.
The 25-year-old Japanese woman was allegedly raped near Bodh Gaya by five people, including an autorickshaw driver, on April 16 when she was on her way to the Gaya railway station.
Three of the five accused were arrested and arrest warrants were issued against the two absconding.
Shocked over the incident, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had announced that a speedy trial would be conducted in the rape case.
The Bihar government has decided to enhance safety and security measures for tourists, particularly foreigners.
It has directed the district administration to deploy policemen on the vehicles shuttling between Bodh Gaya and the Gaya railway station as well as Gaya international airport.
The administration has decided to issue laminated identity cards to all autorickshaw drivers operating between Bodh Gaya and Gaya, 11 km away.
Thousands of tourists visit Bodh Gaya, where Buddha got enlightenment under a Bodhi tree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31