Speedy trial begins in Japanese woman`s gangrape case
Patna: A Bihar court on Thursday began the trial into the gangrape of a Japanese woman on April 16. Three people have been arrested.
The speedy trial began in the court of the chief judicial magistrate in Gaya, a day after police filed its chargesheet against the three accused.
The 25-year-old Japanese woman was allegedly raped near Bodh Gaya by five people, including an autorickshaw driver, on April 16 when she was on her way to the Gaya railway station.
Three of the five accused were arrested and arrest warrants were issued against the two absconding.
Shocked over the incident, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had announced that a speedy trial would be conducted in the rape case.
The Bihar government has decided to enhance safety and security measures for tourists, particularly foreigners.
It has directed the district administration to deploy policemen on the vehicles shuttling between Bodh Gaya and the Gaya railway station as well as Gaya international airport.
The administration has decided to issue laminated identity cards to all autorickshaw drivers operating between Bodh Gaya and Gaya, 11 km away.
Thousands of tourists visit Bodh Gaya, where Buddha got enlightenment under a Bodhi tree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested