Strong plea for special category status to Bihar
New Delhi: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday
made a strong plea for special category status to Bihar and
resented the "tendency" of passing on financial burden of
central legislations to states.
Noting the "big gap" between the growth of per capita
income and per capita Gross Fixed Capital Formation through
central investment in Bihar and other states of the country,
Kumar said solutions to these problems lay in according
special category status to the state.
"The per capital investment can only be increased at a
higher pace in Bihar by according special category status to
the state so that it can attract adequate private investment.
This will also help us generate optimum employment opportunity
in Bihar," he said at the National Development Council meet
here chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Thanking the Centre for constituting an inter-ministerial
group on the issue, he said, "We expect the inter-ministerial
group would favourably look at genuine concerns of Bihar and
extend all possible support for its development and growth."
Highlighting the "disjunct" between administrative
ministries enacting Central laws in areas primarily in domain
of the states, he demanded a "re-look" saying they have little
relationship with the availability of state finances.
"The state had demanded a funding pattern of 90:10
between Centre the and state for implementing Right To
Education. However, it was finally decided to be 65:35 thereby
burdening the state with additional financial obligations.
Right to Food Security Bill, which is on the anvil, will
multiply these problems.The overriding negative feature of
the draft of it is that under the bill, the Central government
arrogates to itself power to decide the number, criteria and
schemes, while unilaterally imposing a substantial financial
burden on the state government," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves