`Super 30` aims at branches in every state
Bangalore: Anand Kumar, whose Super 30
institute has helped numerous economically backward students
to crack the IIT-JEE by giving them educational and moral
support, wants to start the programme`s branches in every
"My dream is to expand my student base from 30 and open
up branches in every state of India where poor and meritorious
students who cannot afford good education can get higher
education and contribute to India," Kumar said.
He was here to receive the Yeshwanth Rao Kelkar award
from the ABVP today.
"It is also my dream to create an educational institution
where we can train students, who contribute to the family
income due to the strains of poverty, from the level of
standard 4 or 5 and create many Nobel Prize winners from
India," he said.
Kumar, who is a mathematician, educationist and
columnist, started his Super 30 programme in Patna in 2002
under which he coaches 30 economically backward students every
year for IIT-JEE, the entrance examination for the Indian
Institutes of Technology.
By 2010, 212 students trained by the Super 30 have made
it to IITs.
In the past three years, all 30 students of Super 30,
established in Patna, have made it to the IIT-JEE.
"The son of a vegetable vendor is in a good job in
Belgium; Anupam Kumar, the son of a driver, is drawing a hefty
salary package and so on as a result of our endeavour and I
feel exalted about it," Kumar said.
Oscar award winner Resul Pookutty, who was the chief
guest at the ABVP`s conference, said he studied under extreme
and hostile conditions in his remote village in Kerala but
when he read that "a person who studied under the street lamp
went on to become the President of America (Abraham Lincoln),
I thought why can`t I."
"Thus I could attain the honour I have received. Hence we
have to spread this message among our people especially among
students that `If he can do it I can too,`" said the sound
Pookuttyy said Anand Kumar too came from a humble
background but has achieved great success.
"If Anand kumar can do it, you can do it too", Pookutty
told the gathering of students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says