Super30 hero Anand Kumar seeks extra chance in JEE like UPSC
Patna: Buoyed by UPSC`s decision to provide additional two chances to aspirants across all categories, mathematician Anand Kumar of Super 30 fame on Tuesday urged for a similar opportunity in examination for qualifying in IITs.
"This shall also be extended to Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)," he said in a statement.
Kumar has been demanding more chances in JEE for students from underprivileged sections in the rural areas, saying they don`t get the advantage of quality schooling and often start their preparations late.
"More opportunities will help reduce the urban-rural divide so that bright students from rural areas come forward," he said.
"It will be injustice to IIT aspirants with just two chances," the mathematician, who has earned laurels across the world for helping students from poor families to crack IIT examination by providing free coaching and lodging, added.
Kumar said he had pleaded for additional chance in JEE exams during his past meetings with Union HRD minister Kapil Sibal and also Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"Now that Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has raised number of chances to six for general category students, nine for OBC candidates and unlimited for SC/ST candidates, it is important for the JEE board to think on similar lines," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway