Sushil Modi demands Rs 10 lakh compensation for Bagaha victims
Patna: Condemning the police firing at Bagaha that claimed the lives of six Tharu tribals earlier this week, senior BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi on Thursday demanded that the state government pay Rs 10 lakh compensation to their kin within a week.
He also threatened to sit on a 24 hour dharna if the demand for higher compensation was not met but did not specify the date.
The Nitish Kumar government had earlier announced Rs four lakh compensation to the kin of each victim.
Modi, who yesterday visited Katharwa village with a BJP fact-finding team, told reporters that not only the victims of the Bagaha police firing, but also those of Forbesganj, Madhubani and Jai Nagar or anywhere else in Bihar, should be given Rs 10 lakh compensation.
He claimed that Kumar had turned down his plea for compensation to Forbesganj police firing incident two years ago in which four persons of minority community were killed.
The senior BJP leader, who was the deputy chief minister in the erstwhile NDA government till recently, assailed the police for resorting to `unprovoked` firing to quell a mob of mostly women and children who were agitating to demand for arrest of the killers of a fellow tribal youth at Bagaha two weeks ago.
"The protesters did not use weapons against the police or indulge in arson of public property. Yet the policemen fired on the mob killing six of them and injuring about 30 others when hardly eight to ten policemen sustained minor injuries during stone pelting by the protesters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video