Sushil Modi demands Rs 10 lakh compensation for Bagaha victims
Patna: Condemning the police firing at Bagaha that claimed the lives of six Tharu tribals earlier this week, senior BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi on Thursday demanded that the state government pay Rs 10 lakh compensation to their kin within a week.
He also threatened to sit on a 24 hour dharna if the demand for higher compensation was not met but did not specify the date.
The Nitish Kumar government had earlier announced Rs four lakh compensation to the kin of each victim.
Modi, who yesterday visited Katharwa village with a BJP fact-finding team, told reporters that not only the victims of the Bagaha police firing, but also those of Forbesganj, Madhubani and Jai Nagar or anywhere else in Bihar, should be given Rs 10 lakh compensation.
He claimed that Kumar had turned down his plea for compensation to Forbesganj police firing incident two years ago in which four persons of minority community were killed.
The senior BJP leader, who was the deputy chief minister in the erstwhile NDA government till recently, assailed the police for resorting to `unprovoked` firing to quell a mob of mostly women and children who were agitating to demand for arrest of the killers of a fellow tribal youth at Bagaha two weeks ago.
"The protesters did not use weapons against the police or indulge in arson of public property. Yet the policemen fired on the mob killing six of them and injuring about 30 others when hardly eight to ten policemen sustained minor injuries during stone pelting by the protesters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception